My Genealogy Hound

Below is a family biography included in The History of McLean County, Illinois published by Wm. LeBaron, Jr. Co. in 1879.  These biographies are valuable for genealogy research in discovering missing ancestors or filling in the details of a family tree. Family biographies often include far more information than can be found in a census record or obituary.  Details will vary with each biography but will often include the date and place of birth, parent names including mothers' maiden name, name of wife including maiden name, her parents' names, name of children (including spouses if married), former places of residence, occupation details, military service, church and social organization affiliations, and more.  There are often ancestry details included that cannot be found in any other type of genealogical record.

* * * *

WILLIAM A. HAYNES, of the firm of Haynes, Jordan & Co., dealers in grain, land, stock, coal etc., Chenoa; was born in Marshall Co., Ill., Jan. 12, 1836; he is a son of Samuel Haynes, who was born in Genesee Co., N. Y., in 1799, and emigrated to Marshall Co., Ill., in 1835, and is now a resident of Chenoa. Mr. Haynes received a public-school education, and in 1863 started in the grain business, in Sparland, Ill.; two years later, he removed to Lacon and engaged with his brother, W. S. Haynes, in the grain and lumber trade; in 1869, he came to Chenoa and formed a partnership with R. J. Jordan, his brother, becoming a member of the firm about a year afterwards. On the burning of their elevator, in 1873, the firm embarked in banking, intending to abandon the grain business, but a favorable opportunity presenting itself, they sold out their bank and resumed the grain business in the spring of 1878. They are principally engaged in buying corn during the fall and winter and holding it for the spring market; they have had in store, during the past winter, about 250,000 bushels of corn. Mr. Haynes and his brother own four warehouses — two at Chenoa, one at Weston, and one at Meadows. They also, own about 1,300 acres of land, lying mainly in Livingston Co., besides quite an amount of town property. He has never sought official positions, and with the exception of that of School Trustee, for the past eight or nine years, has held no public office. He was married Jan. 1, 1856, to Miss Delphia Fosdick, of Marshall Co., Ill.

* * * *

This family biography is one of 1257 biographies included in The History of McLean County, Illinois published by Wm. LeBaron, Jr. Co. in 1879.  View the complete description here: The History of McLean County, Illinois

View additional McLean County, Illinois family biographies here: McLean County, Illinois Biographies

Use the links at the top right of this page to search or browse thousands of other family biographies.