My Genealogy Hound

Below is a family biography included in Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Pulaski County, Arkansas published by Goodspeed Publishing Company in 1889.  These biographies are valuable for genealogy research in discovering missing ancestors or filling in the details of a family tree. Family biographies often include far more information than can be found in a census record or obituary.  Details will vary with each biography but will often include the date and place of birth, parent names including mothers' maiden name, name of wife including maiden name, her parents' names, name of children (including spouses if married), former places of residence, occupation details, military service, church and social organization affiliations, and more.  There are often ancestry details included that cannot be found in any other type of genealogical record.

* * * *

Lawrence D. Gleason, proprietor of the leading restaurant of Little Rock, was born in Ireland, and came to America when only eight years old. He was reared in Cleveland, Ohio, and received his education in the public schools of that city; in boyhood days becoming apprenticed to Mr. Jacob Lohman, of Cleveland, with whom he remained four and one-half years, learning the carriage-trimming trade. Going south, he first settled at Nashville, Tenn., and subsequently at Chattanooga, Tenn., Huntsville, Ala., Jackson, Tenn., and Memphis. After the war, he engaged in the restaurant business in the last-named city, and was proprietor of the well-known “Sam’s House,” on Jefferson Street, until the year 1870, when he came to Little Rock and opened up a restaurant on the corner of Markham and Main Streets (the present site of the Bank of Little Rock). Though burned out on December 14, 1876, he quickly resumed, and started in the Benjamin Block (now Allis), in 1877 returning to the new Metropolitan Block. Seven months later, he went to the Union Depot and operated the hotel there for ten years, but in November, 1888, established his present business on the northeast corner of Markham and Louisiana Streets, where he also has a garden and dairy, furnishing his own vegetables and milk. Here he enjoys the patronage of Little Rock’s best citizens. Mr. Gleason was married in 1858, to Miss Mary McCabe, by whom he has had six children. They are members of St. Andrew’s Catholic Cathedral.

* * * *

This family biography is one of 156 biographies included in Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Pulaski County, Arkansas published in 1889.  For the complete description, click here: Pulaski County, Arkansas History, Genealogy, and Maps

To view additional Pulaski County, Arkansas family biographies, click here

Use the links at the top right of this page to search or browse thousands of other family biographies.